Sunday, October 19, 2008

The beauty of Halo

Anyone who has talked about video games with me will know that, I love Halo... In the past I have spent hours -of what could have been useful time- playing Halo... I'm pretty good at it, if you are playing with me and a group of friends and you suddenly go reeling from a sniper shot to the head... That will be me... But it's not just about the game play, (The fighting part...)
It's also about the story. Halo has a wonderful in game story... I dislike it when I tell people I enjoy Halo, and they think it's all about the fighting. Many of the games I play have a good story... Unless they are strategy games, and even then the campaign's usually have a good story... Much of the fun is in the unfolding story. It's like watching a movie only, you control what direction the screen moves... That does not mean it's not fun to fight a one on one battle with a friend... Don't get me wrong, I love a game with a solid combat system... But a game is nothing without a solid story...
So if you want, you can give me your opinion, agree or disagree...

5 comments:

Nat said...

Halo is a very strong narrative; Halo 2 (and, so far as I can tell, 3) add a bit of cheese and the tie-in novels add a bit of sci-fi trashiness, but the original Halo taken by itself - especially taken by itself - is quite coherent and enthralling, all the more so for being isolate.

It's similar to how the Matrix story dissolved into drivel when they moved from a very small, isolated subsection of the world (e.g., the original movie) to a much larger representation of the world (e.g., the sequels, Zion, etc.). Same with Halo, which is especially strong for the very reasons that the Covenant is mysterious, the Forerunners unseen, Earth never seen, and so forth. The entire game is composed of one slice of human life and technology - the Pillar of Autumn - one block of Covenant society, a basically-uninhabited and inexplicable environment, and of course the Flood. Each of these four elements is a cornerstone upon which the entire plot resides and from which the entire conflict arises.

Clangore said...

It's not quite so painful as the Matrix though...

Emily said...

Man, I haven't played video games in forever. >_< And I've only played halo when fighting off other people xD

But I totally agree with you. Games without a story (unless its DDR or Wii Sports or something) are boring. But the ones with a good story just draw you in and make you feel like a part of it.

Have you ever played/heard of Shadow of the Colossus? That game is amaaaazing :]

Clangore said...

No I have not... Have you ever played "Age of Mythology?"

Emily said...

Nope, lol