Monday, November 28, 2011

A Brief Thought For Advent

I don't like to post theological tidbits on my blog. I feel that I am rather not the person to consult on anything beyond the most basic of doctrines. I wouldn't say I am uninformed or ignorant of these things, but there are many who are much wiser than I am.

That being said. I had an interesting thought this weekend.

Sunday's gospel was the account of Jesus' triumphal entry into Jerusalem. The Lord almighty entering his own city, lowly, sitting on a Donkey, to loud cries of Hosanna. But it goes on, not everyone was singing Hosannas, there was a great disturbance in the city, a 'stirring up' of the people. This is not a positive reaction, they are fearful and speculative.

I do not know why, but today as I was considering this gospel I thought of when Jesus is speaking to the Pharisees in Luke: 11:14-22. He speaks to them concerning the house divided, referring to their accusation of his casting out demons by Beelzebul. He speaks first concerning a house divided; then when he speaks of casting out demons by the finger of God he goes on to use the Strong man analogy. A Strong Man with his armor and his sword is comfortable and at peace, relaxing. However, One who is stronger than he overcomes him and divides his spoils, taking his armor in which he trusted.

Up til now, as you can tell, has just been referencing the gospels. Here is my exegetical thought.

We have entered Advent, Death has been reigning freely, the Devil roams like a roaring lion seeking someone to devour. They sit in their palace of hell, wearing the armor of unrepentant sin and wielding the sword of the law's condemnations.They sit comfortably, confident in the fallen nature of men doubting that God will fulfill his promise to Adam and Eve.

But then, the Christ, the Stronger man, comes lowly, with no armor, into this house of death, he overpowers Death and the Devil, claiming for himself the spoils of the souls of mankind. Even as he does so, men refuse him and allow Death and the Devil full reign once more. (Luke: 11: 23-26)

It's a thought, not particularly deep and definitely not unfamiliar. But I liked it.

No comments: