Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Symbolic Symbolised Symbolism!

In which our hero plays video games, watches movies, reads books and visits churches....


I love symbolism, I really do; I think it's from spending the time focusing on all the various pieces of symbolism which I was taught as an Acolyte; the hows and whys of what we do.

I don't really want to talk about any particular symbolism... but I might end up doing so before the end of this post. We will see, shan't we?

I think I'll just name one for each category... maybe.

Starting with video games.
The Elder Scrolls: Perhaps my favorite video game series. It doesn't have a lot of real world related symbolism, but the in game wealth of lore is a treasure trove of meaty game-related symbolism. To a certain extent the games do use certain theological or philosophical ideas and they usually have some meaty symbolism attached.

Movies, movies are a wealth of symbolism. They have all the advantage of art, as regards symbolism, but they can present you with thousands of images and they can also include wonderful dialogue that is loaded with symbolism.
V for Vendetta: As regards symbolism in movies, this is a great film. It's a Frank Miller production, and showcases his excellent artistic flair. The movie's symbolism largely relates to the views espoused by the main characters. However, the depth of that symbolism grows out of every aspect of the film.

Books, which in my opinion are the greatest and simplest medium for conveying symbolism. Words are the catalysts of ideas, symbolism usually reflects a story or an event, but all stories and events must first be expressed in words.
I think I'll just make a list... it would take forever to write something distinct for each book.
To name a few: The Chronicles of Narnia (duh); Ender's Game; Harry Potter; LOTR; Animal Farm; just to name a few... there are a lot.

I also love visiting old, and sometimes new, churches. I won't go into details, but know that if I visit your church, I will immediately begin to judge it according to it's level of theological symbolism; judging both it's architecture and it's decor.

So that's my spiel. Hope you find it fun, or useful, or something.

No comments: