Saturday, February 16, 2013

Emergency Pressure Release

In which our hero opens some his consciousness overflow release valves....

I'm feeling restless tonight. Not in a manner that I cannot sleep, or even relax, but in the manner that my mind will not stop whirring. It spins in cycles chewing up, processing, and regurgitating information. But there is nowhere for these fancies and fascinations to fasten, and they quickly return to my mind to find safe haven and refuge from the prying eyes of wandering wrackspurts.

I feel, rather, like a spinning top, hung from a string being twisted into cat's cradles, suspended from a pendulum swinging against the wind. My mind is mincing its meat pies, mixing its metaphors, mashing its M-n-Ms, and meandering in a meaningfully menacing montage of mental menagerie.
Thoughts. They hum about my ears and make sounds, sometimes of a seamless symphony of sympathetic synonyms....

But I digress, I carried that on in order to exorcize my brain. I hope it made some sense, it makes sense to me.

On to actual topics which can be taken for what they are, or are not.

I feel behind; behind schedule as concerns school; behind on my reading; behind on my devotions; behind on life. I feel like I am moving forward, perhaps even quickly, but that the ground is moving faster than my feet and the objects in my rear view mirrors are closer than they appear. I feel that I am making progress, improving and learning, but oh so slowly, and sometimes too late. I am plowing forward, trekking, ever trekking, towards... what? I don't know. I have always felt that I had clear goals. Long term plans for my life. Now I only consider my future in definite terms as concerns my requirements for school. I suppose this has to do with having been assigned goals for the first time.

I was told something, by several different people recently; that, as a professional, and esp. as a performer, I have to define myself. I have to know who I am, and establish that for myself, and for other people. So then, how to go about that? Or do I do it already? Do people have a specific idea of who I am? Do I? If someone had to describe my personality to someone else, how would they do it. I hear people talk about other people they know, and I ask myself'; how do you talk about me when I am not there? I am not so foolish to not care what other people think, I try not to let it define me, but how people perceive you matters.

Ironic, I now have "Who Am I?" from Les Miserables stuck in my head.

When I took the SAT, the essay I had to write was based off of a question about whether we should let other people influence our ideas. Like all SAT questions, it was a low-ball pitch made to be struck with the full force of any highschooler's lofty opinions. I despise questions like this. They always ask for absolutes concerning things which have more touch-of-gray than silver lining.
My answer was that influence was inevitable. We cannot interact with anyone, or anything, and not have it influence our perspective. There is no avoiding influence, we are sponges, we absorb everything and assume it into who and what we are. Whether by adoption or repulsion, or even apathy, all things touch us and make us include them in our reality.

One of the things that has been the hardest about school has been the separation from my family. Nothing makes my day like meeting my brother on campus, whether for coffee or just to walk around talking. For my entire life, my family has been my first resort for advice and for conversation, and my classmates and friends, as excellent and interesting as they may be, do not make for very strong substitutes.

But now it is Lent, a season of prayer, fasting, and solemn meditation. It is strange to consider the fact that, in this world, I will only experience a limited number of Lenten-tides. Statistically, I have already been through twenty percent of them. My days are as an hand-breadth... I find that more and more, my favorite book of the Bible to sit down and read is Ecclesiastes. There is such a strong sense of perspective, of not just knowledge, but wisdom.

And that ultimately, I guess, will be what can help me in finding the answers to all of my problems: Perspective. To know who I am, and to know who He Is. A stark contrast to be sure. A sign upon my forehead and my heart. For, in this one of many Lents, even with the Golgotha of my sins looming in the horizon, I know that my Redeemer lives. And the neither the prince of this world, nor its principalities, nor my own foolish pride, can separate me from the love of God in Christ Jesus my Lord.

And that, was an explosion of thought. The last section is the only part that keeps me sane through the rest of it. Perspective for the day, eh?

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

gra said...

Oh, Jonathan, tears have been welling in my eyes as I read your post; your words have struck a chord in my heart. You have beautifully expressed thoughts and feelings I have had, some of which I have never really expressed.
-The "mental menagerie." Oh, yes.
-Moving forward yet falling behind. Yep. Often.
-Who am I? How do I figure this out, being "true to myself" (whatever that means), while immersed in a sea of people and influences and demands on my time?
-Who is He? The more I meditate on Who He is, the more I want to get hold of it.
-The swift passage of time. How many opportunities remain for me? (Thank you for presenting Lent's season of prayer and fasting in this light.)
I'm pleased that you've been able to consider and identify these things at this stage of your life. When I was your age, I allowed myself to be so carried away by the currents in my life that I was much older when I was able to acknowledge there was a lot of "stuff" swirling in my brain, needing to be dealt with.
I have a wonderful memory of you when you were just a little guy. I wish I had written down the details, but I do remember that I was holding you in my arms one evening and we were looking out of the Timberwood Circle kitchen window into the night sky when you made a very profound and confident statement, quite remarkable for someone your age, about God. At that moment, I felt there was a special calling on your life. You mentioned your family. As someone who loves you and your siblings very much, I have been so very happy and grateful that your parents have raised all of you in a way and in an environment that nurtures the calling I believe God has on all our lives.
I hope you don't mind my being so wordy - it's *your* blog after all - but you touched a special place in my heart today.
I love you.
gra

GPR said...

And then, this is what GPR has to say :)
Regarding what you said about what friends and acquaintances think of you, and how that influences one, you might give this a thought. If Albert Einstein had embraced the thoughts of his colleagues and friends regarding his theory of relativity and had given up the search, we might still be making bombs out of dynamite, might never have been to the moon, might never really have discovered the power of the atom. Old Albert just kept on truckin', paying no attention to his critics.