Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Sundry Sophomore Soliliquoys, vol. 2

In which our hero thinks about Tuesday....


Today, following in the footsteps of yesterday, as it must, I will speak of today; of such things as did pass through my time that I did behoove worthy of further contemplation.

Exemplia Gratia: This morning began late. I over slept and only had twenty-five minutes to remove my carcass from bed, prepare, and traipse through the door. I had planned on a solid hour. There was stuff to get done, things to fetch, papers to locate (more on that later,) food to eat, and coffee to drink. Instead I headed out the door at twenty-five to eight having not eaten breakfast or had any coffee, save the eight-ounce travel mug in my hand, a meager allotment  at best. The papers I had meant to locate were my application papers for the CASA tutoring center, especially the professor-signed recommendation sheet, which I had intended to have signed this morning by the esteemed Dr. North of Theory I and II.

A rough beginning, to be sure. One I hope not to repeat.

When I arrived on campus, I dallied some, swerving back and forth mindlessly until the bookstore opened. I went to the computer lab to print off some papers for my classes, including my fifteen page French syllabus and Programme Detailles. Then it was half past, and the bookstore was open. I had purchased my hundred and forty dollar French text a couple nights before, and I had received notification that it was available for pick-up. I approached the counter, asked for it, and received my bookstore bag that contained it. I pulled the text from the bag, eager to see what had cost so much....

Pages.... Unbound pages. Albeit, they were laminated and hole punched....

One hundred and forty dollars had bought me a few hundred pages of unbound textbook....

As you can imagine, this did not improve my morning.

After this disappointment, I had Music Lit. I knew Dr. Bookout, loosely, from her work with the Bach Collegium as a consultant and period musician. I knew that she played magnificently and knew more about music history than just about anybody in Ft. Wayne. Her class was packed, filled with new sophomores, people who had missed her class last year, or people who had already failed it and come back. The room was full, there was not a seat to be had.

And it was dead silent.

Dr. Bookout speaks very softly, almost in a manner of reverence for her subject matter. She didn't raise her voice so we could hear her, we had to listen. And we did, we hung on every word she spoke. We didn't waste much time on the syllabus. We looked over it, put it aside and got down to history. We talked about style, musical elements, and the reasons for musical development; the basic building blocks of music history.

After Music Lit. I had a little while until French. I sat down to work on an assignment with a classmate until such a time as we had to leave. French class was unremarkable. We learned some more basic bits of kit and generally had an easy time of it. I volunteered and was an amiable buffoon, opening doors and then being told she had said 'frappez a la porte' and then, obligingly, if embarrassed, rapping on the door with my knuckles.

After French I had a break until Sight-singing. I didn't do much. I don't have repertoire selected yet, and the only thing I had to practice was opera (granted I should have practiced that but I didn't.) I ate my lunch and sat around talking to a classmate and one of the Freshman (my teacher's son.) Sight-singing was fabulous, if terrifying, but that comes with the territory. Dr. K was as polite and brutally honest as ever,which I love....

-Brief interjection. I took voice with Dr. K for about three years, in which time she pretty much single handedly  saved my voice from destruction through this brutal honesty-

.... I was shaking in my boots about sight-singing. But I knew that, if I did my part, Dr. K would do everything in her power to make sure I did well.

(Looks at clock and realizes how close it is to being Wednesday, better wrap up.)

After Sight-singing was Performance class. It was exactly what was expected, telling all the freshies what's up. After Perf. was Opera. It was also very much a syllabus/organization class period.

After opera, I texted Patchy for evac. His class didn't finish for a while, but I appreciated the chance to sit still.

That's it. I'm done. And no, I am not going to enter a post length spitting contest with the Doppleganger.
Tune in tomorrow for another exciting adventure... or not.....

Thanks for reading.

No comments: