Thursday, August 8, 2013

Retreating To Victory

In which our hero, classically, begins with "Once upon a time"....

So then, once upon a time, in an ancient land of bogs and buildings, there was a great gathering of brilliant and wonderful people. These people, labeled "Lutheran homeschoolers," are a singular breed; diverse in personality, original in conversation, and having gifts and interests that vary as much as their locations of origin. It was a gathering of minds for what was labeled a retreat of the family (an accurate label indeed).

The week was filled by the constant companionship of the Otter and his Doppleganger, Nimagist. This pair, glorious in Leaguing, magnificent in scheming, and possessed of a predisposition towards deep conversation, were excellent company and have beds under this roof any time that they should choose to claim them. A singular pair of gents. Along with Capt. von Corgi, we spent the week gallivanting and carrying on, (in the young Lutheran manner, i.e. regular church attendance and discussion of theological mores mingled with a healthy dose of Spiderman; i.e. "the Lutheran manner," minus beer.)

Speaking of regular church attendance, I love attending the Lord's service with a huge group of people who know how to sing harmony. Hearing ostinattos ringing through the arches of the sanctuary, tenor and alto lines being filled in where they seldom are, and hearing other people singing bass with me... Fun stuff. Daily communion and prayer with a massive convocation of my church family. And, to boot, the glory of serving as acolyte, not only with my blood brother, but with my other brothers in Christ. For three days--the length of the retreat--we had prayer offices and communion. Three glorious days.

Which, if you hadn't guessed, is the segue into the next paragraph... but I digress.

-Addendum- The party, kind-of, started on Monday with the unofficially-official kick-off party at Crazy Tony's. (Pseudonyms used to protect the innocent, or the guilty. Not that I'm officially acknowledging culpability in anything.)

The first day was a Tuesday, a thoroughly unremarkable day of the week according to most weeks, but glorious for the sake of circumstance. The morning was spent with Capt. von Corgi, preparing for guests to arrive at the church and in the family home, preparing for the retreat and impending guests at home, the Family de Violin and the aforementioned duo. These preparations are fairly well typified by that often spoken, many times heard saying concerning a certain kind of poultry that has suffered capital truncation. But Tuesday progressed in a surprisingly nonviolent manner, filled with educative and interesting plenaries and sectionals, and crowned with a game-night and potluck, which turned into more of an "everyone about your socializing and fraternization and leave the adults to their beers" night.

Wednesday was a busy day. It began early and ran late, spanning the spectrum from prayer in the morning, to dancing till the cows came home. That day, I led a book discussion concerning sheep and fads; later, even that very same day, I taught a sectional on the transition from homeschooling to college, assisted by the Doppleganger: Nimagist; which mostly consisted of talking about sheeps and fads. There was Vespers that day; and a dinner that day, served by the Ragin' Cajun, a man of vision, whose food knows no bounds of culinary resplendence. That evening there was dancing, hosted and provisioned by the Squirrel, another example of a talented Lutheran person. I love dancing, I'm not very good, but the longer it's going the less I care about that. The evening wrapped up with an ill-advised night swim in the 60-degree pool, instigated by the Generalissimo, and a long, deep conversation with the Dopplegangers.

Wait for it, I know it occurred to somebody. "Dancing then swimming in freezing water? weren't you sore?"

Oh yes.

Thursday morning began with pain, soreness inexpressible except by the very groanings of the Spirit.

But, once more, I digress. For most people, Thursday began with Matins, but I was too much of a pansy to overcome tiredness and soreness to attend. I showed up in time for the rest of the day's events to begin. There was a sectional, taught by the Rt. Rev. Seminarist. The topic of his sectional was, "Law and Gospel in [thatmusical/bookwhicheverybodylovesandwhichImayormaynotcurrentlybein-thefrenchone]." A very enjoyable topic. After the sectional, we all went to Mass. After Mass we went to harass Capt. von Corgi at his workplace, and then to the Farmers of Legumes and we went for a walk. We had a  spectacular time, but I did then leave lamentably early for a brush-up rehearsal for [thatmusicalwhicheverybodyloves -thefrenchone].

And that was it. The retreat was over. However, it was Friday, and there was still comradery of the Homeschooled Lutheran variety to be found. A small group of said people had remained behind to attend a performance of [thatmusicalwhicheverybodyloves -thefrenchone], and we all spent the day together. The assembled parties were, Myself, the Squirrel, the Dopplegangers: Nimagist and Otter, the Farmers of Legumes, Ms. Donau, and the Lady of Hippo. The good Capt. von Corgi was about his day's work once more at the Sandwich parlor of James-Johannes, from whence he did, in due time, join us. That evening, many of them attended the aforementioned production and a good time was had by all discussing it.

But alas, as with all things this fairy tale did come to an end--for woe of woes-- came Saturday, the day appointed for the Doppleganger: Nimagist, the Lady of Hippo, the Squirrel, and Ms. Donau, should leave to return to their home country, the city of Directionalcurve (and the Squirrel to the northern reaches, of which names I shall not speak). There was much weeping, and tears shed all around. Gifts of farewell, in the form of carafes filled with coffee for the road, were presented. Oaths of pilgrimage were vowed, and we bid a farewell to friends.

And here sit I, too many days after the fact, finally sitting down to record my version of events for posterity, and that only because I mentioned it in passing to Ms. Donau, who was good enough to hold me to my own plans. It was a good time, a time of fellowship, grace, and thanksgiving for the blessings I have received. Not the least of which blessings are my church, my family (both blood and church), for food, and for friendship so often taken for granted. As I have met more and more people and grown to know them, I have learned the value of a true friend, not just a fun person to be with, but a brother-in-arms against the devil, the world, and my own sinful nature. I am fortunate to have an abundance of just such.

Nope, not quite done, but hold your horses it'll all be over with soon. And not only in the cosmic sense....

This week reminded me, as these things always do, of how central my church life is to me. These people, my people, my church-family, are as close and dear to me as many of my extended family. And I love my extended family; that is no belittling of them. The mutual consolation of the brethren was quite visible and tangible amongst those who were gathered.

Sigh.

Nope, not finished... I will make an end when I am finished.

Capt. von Corgi took off this week to visit self same friends. They sojourned in a massive expedition to the far sands and the great inland sea. I did not realize I would be able to go, and thus I was left at home, the Mama having left for the East to visit the She-wolf and her adorable little Hellian, my niece. The Generalissimo was also with me, however, he worked at the Maul from the morn until eve on all but the last day of von Corgi's absence. I was so lonely, I went out and slew a zucchini dragon and returned with it and prepared many a cookie. Aside from that I did lounged, except for doing laundry, and called Von Corgi to complain to him, and anyone who would listen, about my plight of loneliness.

Now, Capt. von Corgi has returned, and existence is almost back to the holding pattern. Life continues much as it always has, full of its comings and goings. Otter has long since returned to the Academie de Bawl State, the Mama will return soon, and the run of [thatmusicalwhicheverybodyloves -thefrenchone] is on its final weekend. School will start soon. Winter is coming and we'd best be ready.

And I think that this shall be for sufficiency. I have vented my thoughts, even though I knew not what to write. I have bored you to tears and now you are reading this and realizing I am drawing out the end as much as possible just to see if you'll keep reading....

Congratulations, you made it.

Thanks for reading.

By the way, remember, if you are feeling good about yourself for humoring me and reading all of this, stop it! you've just gone and ruined that whole good work! Tsk tsk.

Sigh. Well, thanks anyway.... I guess. I hope you enjoyed it.

No comments: