Monday, August 26, 2013

Sundry Sophomore Soliloquoys, vol. 1

In which our hero reflects on a Monday....


On this day, in the year of our Lord 2013, the month being August, the twenty-sixth of the month, I began the new semester of school, my sophomore year.

I have been looking forward to school. I missed the structure, the tangible progress of my semesters in the music building. I missed having work to do, having problems to solve, rhythm and rhyme to reason and resolve. School represented a growth in knowledge and ability which is difficult to match outside of the disciplined context of academic study. I am hoping that the developing discipline of the school year will continue to grow into my down time. I did more work this semester than I have ever really done in an unenforced context previously

But I digress, all this speaks to the pre-semester thoughts, this blog post is themed for this semester starting today. Entschuldigung.


My day began early, very early. I woke at 6:40, stumbled my way to the shower, and groped my way about my morning prep. I will be waking earlier when Lauds shifts to its school year time of seven-am. I look forward to the time when I will be able to continue such disciplines, which I find to be the best way to start the day....

Once, more, I have diverged from the subject at hand. Krosis.

So, having prepped my box-lunch, I searched for a travel mug which I could carry my coffee in; however, woe of woes, there was not a sizable mug to be found. I left the house, bereft and caffeine deprived.

I did some first day prep, procuring my locker, printing my schedule, figuring out which books I needed that day. I went to the bookstore, learned they didn't have my last textbook reserved yet, and bought my piano workbook for my class piano. I returned to the music building, and settled in for my first class, nine-am Theory III. I was instantaneously surrounded by some of my favorite people from freshman theory, as well as some favored classmates who had to retake it. Dr. Johnson is an excellent personality. A wit, a man who genuinely enjoys the work he is doing and delights in sharing it. We'll get along swimmingly.

After theory, I had a brief respite. My next class didn't start until eleven-am, so I went about some of the additional business I had to complete. I walked across campus to the CASA tutoring center and procured for myself the paperwork prerequisite of working as a tutor. From there I texted my merciful brother, and begged that he should provide caffeination that I might survive the day. He graciously did provide it, and I continued my day with eleven-am French.

French is my only non-music class this semester and, funny enough, when I entered the class this morning, four of my fellow students were music majors. I settled in next to one of them and sat through the syllabus and a little bit of introductory French in the form of name games.

After French I had nothing to do, earlier in the day I had signed up for my re-audition for U.Singers, but the excerpt to be prepared was simple, and I was not worried for the audition (But more on that later.) I waylaid the Freakishly-tall Tenor and Mufasa who were out enjoying the sun and waiting for free food. I chilled with them and followed when they removed from the company of the Sopranos towards the music building. I hung out with them in the Lounge for a good hour, re-acclimating myself to socializing with my music peeps.

Mufasa and I practiced the excerpt, it was simple, consisting of a bass line not untypical in choral music, four or five notes repeated, sometimes in different octaves, but at simple intervals. At two-twenty I went into my audition and sang for Dr. Busarow, the new head of choral. I was having a strange day, vocally. I sang an Eb 2 on bottom and a G# 4 on top. My normal is a D2 on bottom with maybe the F4 on top. Strange day.

After my audition, I went home with my mama and, having arrived home, held a baby for half an hour and sat down, I fell asleep. I took a nap, a long nap.

There isn't much more to say. I was attempting to find out what had me stressed today, by working back through it. It didn't really work. I think there must have been a wide array of small antagonizing thoughts that made up my anxiety train.
Perhaps the light of tomorrow morning will illumine the darkness...

Tune in tomorrow for more.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: